Saturday, March 17, 2007

The lady behind Chris Okotie...

The lady behind Chris Okotie...
'He's the best thing that has ever happened to Nigeria'


•Miss Sola Salako
Photo: Sun News Publishing

Miss Sola Salako is the National General Secretary of the Rev. Chris Okotie-led Fresh Democratic Party, (FDP).
In an interview with Daily Sun in Lagos, the FDP scribe debunked the impression that women in politics are always corrupt, wayward and irresponsible, saying the generalisation is unfair and unfortunate.

The lady, who says she is in politics to serve, is of the belief that the presidential candidate of her party, Rev. Chris Okotie is the best thing that has ever happened to Nigeria, enthusing that he will make the desired change.

She also spoke on other issues of national interest.

Excerpts
Politics

I believe everybody is a political being. And personally, I have been a politically conscious person. I have always been a political commentator. But now when the opportunity has presented itself for me to practise what I have always been complaining about, I decided to utilise the opportunity to do something about it.

Motivation
The motivation is simple. There is need for change in this country. I am a columnist and I write about consumers and the way they are treated in this country. And I write about the need for change.
So, if you are a Nigerian with a vision and focus for your life, you would know there is need for change in Nigeria. And we have all along been sitting down waiting for those in government to do the right thing and they are not doing the right things. And a lot of people are suffering because they are not doing the right thing.

That motivates me to stand up and do something. I cannot just sit down to see that happen. So, whatever I think I can do in my own little way, I am ready to contribute my quota to it.

Women in politics
It is what people have made women to be in politics that they are now. Women also are naturally political animals. We are the people who do something on behalf of somebody else to make life better for them. I have seen where women are just in position of responsibility and they have proved their mettles. This is because women know how to do things and get them done.

But luckily women are already coming into politics. The more we see women in the public making things happen, the more encouraging it would be for other women to come into politics.

African culture

You see, we may not necessarily be in the forefront. I am not contesting for any position right now, I am working to support a man who is contesting for a position. And I can do that very well. Women are not looking forward to be in charge. We are just looking for a way where we can be in position of responsibility to make things happen so that other people can do their job well.

So, I don't think whether they are in position of authority or that they are in forefront matters.

Women governor
If someone can come up and if the society can give us the opportunity to have a woman president or woman governor, why not?

I am not a gender focused person. I don't think of people in terms of their gender. I think of them first in terms of their personality and in form of their character before I think of them in form of their gender.
And I have not experienced gender discrimination in politics as a person because I am working with a person who is gender blind.

Alleged irresponsibility of women politicians

You can't just generalise. Okay? It depends on the person you are dealing with and what is that person's character and what is that person's personality and what is that person's focus in life.
I don't think anybody could look at me and think I am irresponsible. I have been a responsible woman and anybody who knows me knows I am very responsible.

And if I am to ask, why should you be irresponsible as a woman in politics? This is something that needs to be done and we just have to get it done. Is it irresponsible women that go to work in banks? Or women who work in whatever places they go to work?

Elective office
If the situation presents itself, maybe I will consider it. It is not something that I am looking forward to but I am more motivated to serve. That is all.

I just want to help to make a difference in the environment in which I live because I believe that is the way God has made every woman. We are supposed to make a difference at whatever level we found ourselves.

So, if the situation comes up that the only way I can make a difference is to contest for public office, maybe I would do it. But right now I am making a difference by helping to put together this political party and helping to make this political party work so that Nigerian people would taste what is true democracy.

Monetisation of polity
I am not comfortable with monetization of the polity. For me, money has never been a motivation for me personally. I am always motivated by what is right. In this situation, that is what should motivate you whether you are paid for it or not, it is not necessary.

And I don't see why anybody can use money to convince me to do something. I can't understand why should that be! I don't believe in money politics.

I believe God has endowed me with enough intelligence, with enough ability to be able to make life better for so many other people who are not as blessed as I am. That is the only motivation. Things should be done right whereby everything is fair and just. And everybody would be able to say, okay, I have got all what I can get in this environment.

But when you oppress people because you want to feel big, it is contrary to human nature. So, that alone is enough motivation for me.

Nigerians know what is good and what is wrong. What they need is a little persuation. But Nigerian people are cynical because the people that they have trusted have failed them.
You cannot live your life on what has happened to you in the past. You just have to make up your mind to say I am moving forward, I am going to make a wiser decision now. I am going to watch properly before I leap.

Rev. Okotie's aspiration
Thank God you can see that more credible people are coming out. So, anybody who knows Rev. Chris Okotie, who goes through his life and realises that he leads an upright life as much as it affects everybody around him, would know that somebody worthy is in the race.

People would now say, okay, this man can make a difference. People that have been giving you money, you look at their lives, they would have proven to you several times that they are not people to be trusted. Nigerians are getting wiser. And that is all we need.

We just have to explain to people and convince them that they need to get wiser and they are really getting wiser. And they have to believe that God can effect a change for them because it is not something any of us can do by ourselves.

Nigeria of my dream
Nigeria of my dream is a Nigeria where every Nigerian, just by the virtue of being a Nigerian, you matter. You know how it is in America where anywhere you are in the world, if there is any crisis and you stand up and say you are an American, the whole of American government is, in fact, behind you.

That is Nigeria of my dream.
Nigeria of my dream is Nigeria which I could be proud of and say I am a Nigerian because I will know that by virtue of being a Nigerian alone, the whole nation is behind me. And I will be very ready to do anything for my nation.

And to achieve that, Nigeria must first take care of me, provide for me, must think I am very important and must treat me like an important person. I am a consumer advocate and that is what I do as a right. Every consumer has a right to be treated well. And all of us are consumers. Whatever you are consuming, be it government, human relations or whatever, we have a right to be treated well than how people treat us now.

So the Nigeria of my dream is where that green passport is what you carry with pride because you know you are being taken care of and there is provision for your child, there is provision for your future and there is structure that works.

No comments: